The housewife’s job is to keep the house spotless at all times. Heaven forbid that someone should walk into your home and find even the tiniest stain on the floor or on the countertop. While many strive to maintain the cleanliness of the home in order to make it more appealing, the fact is that the level of sanitation of every environment, especially that of the kitchen, is essential for maintaining good health. Mould is one of the most treacherous organisms that can live in your kitchen owing to the fact that it causes severe illnesses. Nonetheless, people rarely realize that they have mould in the house because it is concealed. When the presence of the fungus is not obvious, inspectors use dogs trained to identify it. If you yourself want to know how to find and combat mould, read the following guide or visit moulddog.ca.
Mould tends to choose the kitchen, of all places, as a dwelling. One of the reasons why mould flourishes here is that people store in the kitchen many organic materials, such as bread, which the mould uses to feed itself. When conditions are very favourable, the spores that are usually present in the air adhere to the organic substance and start digesting it. For this reason, you should avoid leaving the bread outside the refrigerator. Remember that fungi are parasites that fiercely attack the host for nutrients; thus, moldy food is not healthy for you or for your pets. You should devote a special cleaning ritual to the kitchen, meaning that you have to vacuum and dust regularly, clean the refrigerator once in a while and let the air circulate when you’re cleaning.
More importantly, the kitchen is an area that is rich in moisture. Moisture in the kitchen is the natural result of cooking and washing. Taking into consideration that preparing the meals takes up a lot of time, women get tired easily and sometimes they may forget to open the window and ventilate. The moist air contact cold surfaces and condensation occurs, which stimulates the mould growth. The mould then develops freely and you can typically find it behind kitchen units, behind and under kitchen appliances, and on the corners of windows.
In order to protect your health, you have to decontaminate the areas affected by mould. You can either perform this operation by yourself or let the professionals handle it. DIY decontamination is very easy: all you need is a scrubber and some detergent. Keep in mind that the spores released by the fungus are extremely toxic, so that you should protect your eyes and nose with a mask, as well as wear gloves. The mold is best destroyed using a solution that contains 1 part water and 1 part bleach.
Although detergent can also be useful, bleach is more powerful. The solution resulted will be inserted in a spray bottle because the item will allow you to reach difficult areas. Only when the mould changes colour, can you be sure that the solution is working. Nevertheless, you have to repeat the operation a couple of times because mold does not disappear that fast, in other words it will put up a good fight.